Welcome to Bike for Haiti By Erik and Abdiel

The idea of this trip began ten years ago on a family road trip. As the sights of the United States passed by me I dreamed of riding my bike across the country. I brought the matter up during our road trip. I remember saying something like “Next time lets do this by bike...” Of course at the time everyone thought I was crazy. Then five years ago on another road trip I discussed my dream with Abdiel, a friend of mine. He thought that a bike trip would be crazy, but also a great experience. Overtime the idea slowly started to develop and take hold.

While this bike trip will be a great learning experience for Abdiel and I we eventually decided to ride for a cause. We not only wanted this adventure to mean something to us, but to serve a purpose for others. This is why we have decided to ride for Partners in Health (PIH), and Haiti. As many of you know it has been about a year since the earthquake devastated Haiti displacing people out of their homes. Even more then a year later people are still living in tented communities. PIH is not only dedicated to continue to help those harmed by the quake, but has existed in Haiti for many years. As a co-founder of PIH, Dr. Paul Farmer has been revolutionizing how medicine is brought to those in need throughout Haiti. The mission statement for PIH states “When a person in Peru, or Siberia, or rural Haiti falls ill, PIH uses all of the means at our disposal to make them well... Whatever it takes. Just as we would do a member of our own family - or we ourselves were – ill.” This means that PIH is very adamant about helping those who fall ill upon their doorstep. (To learn more about what PIH is doing for Haiti visit PIH Stand for Haiti website)

Any donations are greatly appreciated. We hope the links to our blog will help better inform you about PIH and Haiti. A great book to read is “Mountains beyond Mountains” by Tracy Kidder. You can make a one time donation to our cause and give our ride purpose by going to our PIH Fundraiser Page or if you would like to donate an X amount of money per mile we ride that can be done by going to Pledge per Mile. Remember even the smallest contributions help.

* Your donation can: give a years worth of tuberculosis medication for one person that costs about $10-$20 dollars in poor countries such as Haiti. Antiretrovirals for HIV range from $70-$80 per year, per person. *All donations will go to PIH*

Friday, May 6, 2011

Flat Flat Kansas (Day 33)

While the eastern part of Kansas has lots of trees and rolling hills, the western part is completely different. Today in our 90 mile ride we moved into the western part of Kansas. We woke up around six in the morning, had a little breakfast, and headed out. As we road the hills became less and less and the trees also started to disappear. The landscape started to look like a never ending field. As I road today it was strange, but a sudden fear started to creep up on me. It was a fear of vastness, of a never ending vastness. Like things would go on and on for eternity. For as long as I rode it felt as if the landscape would always be the same, never changing.

At one point while we road today we were lucky enough to have a tailwind. It was kind of nice because we constantly feel as if the wind is in our face. With the tailwind we could ride easily at 15 to 17mph. Normally we are only able to ride about 10mph. I know in the next couple of days I will get bored of the Kansas terrain... Each crest I bike over I feel as if something new will be seen... but at the top of each hill I become disappointed to see the same. I am super excited for the day when I crest a hill like that in Colorado and see mountains off in the distance! I really can't wait. I have always loved the mountain environment, and can't wait to be there.

In fact while we are in Kansas we are slowly, but surely climbing toward the Rockies. In the eastern part of Kansas we started at an elevation of 1000ft. Right know in the town Rush Center we are at about 2000ft. As we move into Colorado we will be around 4000ft. So to put a positive spin on things we are slowly but surely climbing toward the Rockies.

2 comments:

  1. I know Kansas seems like a never ending flat field, but after a while there is a beauty to the never ending sky and horizon. I moved to Kansas from Oklahoma and Eastern vs Western Okla. and Kansas have a lot in common. I lived in Garden City, KS for seven years and I thought it was so ugly because it was so flat, but now when I am around lots of hills and trees, I feel almost claustrophobic. SE winds are rare so count yourself lucky. SW is generally the norm. Lots of variety in temps this week. Cold late last week and now temps in the 100's. I wish good luck on your journey toward the mountains, and I bet the long mountain climbs might make you yearn for the boring yet flat Kansas Landscape. I enjoyed the post, keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that it has been hot in Kansas. We have done some climbing now and it is freezing cold here in WY. I do wish Kansas could share a little of its warmth.

    ReplyDelete